It’s a scenario that we’ve all dreaded: you’re carrying your phone around with you, and you accidentally drop it in water. Whether it’s a puddle, the toilet, or the ocean, the sight of your phone submerged in water is enough to make your heart stop. At that moment, the world seems to freeze as you contemplate the possible consequences. Will your phone still work? Will all of your be lost?
Fortunately, there are a few things you can do to try and salvage it. First, remove the battery and SIM card and dry them off with a clean cloth. Next, wipe down the phone with a dry cloth to remove any excess water. Then, take a container of silica gel and bury the phone in the gel for 24-48 hours. By taking these steps, you can give your phone the best chance of surviving a dunk in water.
If your phone is damaged by sea water then you need to take some different steps than if it was damaged by normal water. The first thing you should do is rinse the phone with fresh water to remove any salt. Then, dry it off as much as possible with a soft cloth. Next, you’ll need to remove the battery and SIM card, if possible. Once the phone is dry, you can try using a vacuum sealer to suck out any remaining water. Then try turning it on; if it does not work, try another method described in this article.
When you drop a phone in water, what should you NOT do?
If your phone has been damaged by water, there are a few things you should NOT do in order to avoid further damage:
- Do not use rice to try and absorb the water. This will not work and can actually damage the ports on your phone.
- Do not try to turn your phone on. This could short-circuit the phone and cause even more damage.
- Do not try to charge the phone. This could also lead to a short circuit, so it’s best to wait until the phone is completely dry before plugging it in.
- Do not blow into the phone to dry it off. This is actually a bad idea, as it can push moisture further into the phone and cause more damage.
- Do not shake the phone. This can cause even more damage to the internal components and make it harder to fix.
- Do not try to use a toothpick or other sharp object to remove water from the phone’s interior. This could damage delicate electronics.
- Do not put the phone directly into the sun. This can be useful, but it can also cause the battery to be damaged.
- Do not try to disassemble your phone. This is not recommended unless you are a professional and know what you are doing.
- Do not use a hair dryer to try and dry your phone. This could also damage your phone.
By following these simple tips, you can avoid making the water damage to your phone worse.
What should you do if you drop your phone in the water?
If your phone turns on and you don’t want to bury it in the silica gel then You can Follow the steps mentioned down.
- Put your phone in front of a fan to help dry it out. If possible, try to avoid using your phone until it is completely dry, as this can further damage the device.
- Use Smart Phone Rescue Kit! The Smart Phone Rescue Kit is perfect for fixing water-damaged phones, Simply place your phone in the bag, and the Smart Phone Rescue Kit will do the rest. Here is the Amazon link for this product, along with a video explaining how to use it.
- If your iPhone shows a message that says Liquid Detected in Lightning Connector, then I have a post that covers how to dry the connector. Please see this link How To Dry iPhone Charger Port for more information.
- Put your phone in the freezer. This can help to reduce the amount of water damage by allowing the water to expand and break apart the bonds that are holding it to the phone.
- Disassemble your phone and remove the battery. Next, rinse the main board with distilled water and let it dry completely. Once the board is dry, you can then apply a small amount of isopropyl alcohol to a clean cotton swab and gently wipe down the board. Be sure to avoid getting any alcohol on the display. Finally, reassemble your phone and power it on. If your phone turns on, congratulations! You’ve successfully repaired your water-damaged phone.
- One method that has been shown to be effective is using an ultrasonic cleaner. Ultrasonic cleaners can remove dirt, grime even water from electronics. Below you will find the using method and a link to buy.
- If your phone is still not working after trying all of the methods above, then you should take it to the closest repair shop. The professionals there will be able to diagnose the problem and fix it for you. In most cases, they will be able to fix your problem within a few hours. However, if the problem is more serious, it may take a few days to fix. Either way, you will be able to get your phone working again in no time.
How to keep your phone safe next time?
There’s no guaranteed way to prevent water damage, there are a few steps you can take to protect your phone from the elements. If you’re using your phone near water, be sure to keep it in a waterproof case or bag. This will help to keep your phone dry if it does come into contact with water.
It’s also a good idea to avoid using your phone in extreme weather conditions. If it’s raining or snowing, for example, keep your phone in your pocket or bag to minimize the risk of water damage.
Finally, be sure to dry your phone off immediately if it does come into contact with water. Water can seep into the device and cause long-term damage if it’s not removed quickly. Use a soft, dry cloth to wipe down your phone, and then remove the battery and SIM card if possible. Let your phone air dry for 24 hours before turning it back on.
By following these simple tips, you can help to keep your phone safe from water damage.
If you’re one of the unlucky ones who drops their phone in water, there’s still a chance you can repair it at home. The steps mentioned above can be tried, but there’s no guarantee that any of them will work, so try them before going to the repair shop. In case your phone doesn’t work after following these steps, you might go to a repair shop, but what if the shop can’t repair it? Then you might consider a new phone. It can be hard to find a new phone, so I’ve compiled a list of the best mid-range smartphones you might like. If you bought a phone from this list, then you need to follow the steps to keep it safe. I hope that the blog post helped you!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. How long does it take for water damage to affect a phone?
A. The answer to this question depends on a number of factors, including the type of phone, the depth of the water, and the amount of time the phone is submerged. Generally speaking, the deeper the water and the longer the phone is submerged, the greater the risk of water damage. For example, a phone that is submerged in a puddle for a few is likely to sustain little to no damage, while a phone that is submerged in a pool for an hour is at a much higher risk of being irreparably damaged.
If you have accidentally submerged your phone in water, it is important to act quickly. The sooner you remove the phone from the water and dry it off, the greater the chance of preventing water damage. If possible, remove the battery and sim card from the phone and place the phone in a container of rice. The rice will help to absorb the moisture from
Q. How can I tell if my phone is water damaged?
A. Water damage can be difficult to spot, but there are a few telltale signs that your phone may have been to moisture. One of the first things to check for is rust or corrosion on the exterior of the phone. This is a good indication that water has seeped into the phone and is damaging the circuitry inside. Another thing to look for is water spots or streaks on the screen. These are usually caused by water droplets getting underneath the screen protector or case. If you notice any of these signs, it’s important to take your phone to a professional as soon as possible to prevent further damage.
Q. Does rice really damage the phone?
A. It’s a common myth that placing a bowl of wet rice will help to dry it and prevent water damage. However, there is no scientific evidence to support this claim. In fact, rice is a poor absorbent of water, and it’s likely that your phone will stay just as wet if you put it in rice as it would if you left it out in the open air. Additionally, the rice particles can actually cause additional damage to your phone by scratching the surface or clogging up the ports. If your phone has been exposed to water, it’s best to remove the battery and SIM card, and then leave it to dry in a well-ventilated area.
Q. Are phone warranties valid for water damage?
A. Most phone warranties do not cover water damage. This is because water damage is considered to be a result of user error, not a manufacturing defect. As such, phone manufacturers will not cover the cost of repairs or replacements for phones that have been damaged by water. However, some phone manufacturers may extend warranties that do cover water damage. These warranties are typically more expensive than traditional warranties, and they may only cover accidental damage. Therefore, it is important to carefully read the terms of any warranty before purchasing it.
Q. Is there anything I should worry about because my phone still works?
A. It is not uncommon for phones to continue working after being dropped in water. However, there are a few things to keep in mind if this happens to you. First, it is important to dry the phone as soon as possible. If possible, remove the battery and SIM card and place the phone in a dry, ventilated area. If the phone was turned on when it was dropped in water, it is also important to let it dry for at least 24 hours before turning it on again. Additionally, it is a good idea to take the phone to a professional to have it checked for any water damage.